Dear Trinity Lutheran Church,
Here is a smattering of information from my Rostered Minister Profile (RMP) and general trivia about me to give you a snapshot of who I am and pastoral style. This, by no means, is an exhaustive list. I hope it elicits questions for us to explore in the future.
God Loves You,
- Graduate Theological – Berkeley, CA Masters of Arts, Ethics and Social Theory
- Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary – Berkeley, CA Masters of Divinity
- Bowling Green State University – Bowling Green, OH Bachelors of Arts, Psychology
Personal Mission Statement (from RMP)
I am a child of God, beautiful, redeemed, and called into ministry just as I am… not as I should be. I wrestle with faith and God in an authentic, honest way and invite others to be free to do the same. I cherish this divine relationship and all the ways that God presents God’s self to me. To experience the Divine in daily life, and embrace the radical, transformative love and grace that is given to all people through Christ is nothing short of life-changing.
Convictions: Identify the three most prominent themes that others would say are strongly evident in your speaking, teaching, leading and living. (from RMP)
When asked by others these are the most common themes:
- “Justice, Community, Love”
- “Abundant grace, wrestling with faith, humor”
- “It’s the questions that connect us, not the answers”
- “A non-anxious presence”
- “Pastor Justin invites the congregation to engage in the texts in new ways”
Candidate Commentary (from RMP)
There is no perfect pastor, no perfect congregation. In fact, seeking perfection feels like an exhausting task and an enemy of the good. We are only complicated individuals trying to figure out who we are and how we respond to the call to be Christ in the world. This work of faith is nuanced. Rarely are there answers, only more questions. But that is where the beauty lies… in the questions. I have found that the Spirit is very good at asking the questions. Sometimes She frustrates the hell out of me with them, but when I listen intently to the Spirit I am drawn into a deeper relationship with God. I find comfort knowing this simple truth… God calls us where we are, with all that we are, into daily ministry. God calls us each day to participate in simple Holy work. AND, we ARE enough! We ARE abundant! We ARE what God needs us to be for this time.
Words I keep coming back to:
- For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:38-39
- I am here to get it right, not be right. – Brene´ Brown
- God loves you, and there is nothing you can do to change God’s mind.